Pope Francis Prays for Victims, Families of Barcelona Attack

Pope Francis Prays for Victims, Families of Barcelona Attack

Greg Burke says Pope is deeply concerned

Pope Francis praying, CTV

Pope Francis Praying, CTV

Vatican Press Office Director, Greg Burke, said August 17, 2017 that: “The Holy Father has been deeply concerned about what is happening in Barcelona. The Pope prays for the victims of this attack and wishes to express his closeness to the whole Spanish people, Particularly to the wounded and the families of the victims.

Burke’s statement on behalf of the Holy Father came after a van crashed into a crowd in Las Ramblas, the popular social and tourist area of Barcelona, earlier in the day.  Latest news report say at least 13 are dead and 100 injured in what is believed to be a terrorist attack.  Several news agencies report that Islamic State is claiming responsibility.

Pope Condemns “Blind Violence” of Attack in Barcelona

Sends prayers, sympathy for those suffering to Card. Omella y Omella

Pray For Barcelona, DP

The Holy Father said the attack August 17, 2017 in Barcelona was “blind violence” and a “very serious offense to the Creator”.

His words came in a telegram August 18, 2017 from Cardinal Pietro Parolin, his Secretary of State, to the Cardinal Archbishop of Barcelona Juan José Omella y Omella after the attacks that struck Spain, including Barcelona and Cambrils, Thursday evening, August 17.

The telegram said:

“Following the news of the cruel terrorist attack that has sown death and pain in Las Ramblas in Barcelona, Pope Francis wishes to express his deepest sympathy for the victims who have lost their lives to such an inhuman act, and offers prayers for their eternal repose. In these moments of sorrow and pain, he wishes also to offer his support and closeness to the many Injured, to their families, and to all Catalan and Spanish society.

“The Holy Father once again condemns blind violence, which is a grave offence to the creator, and raises prayers to the most high that he help us continue to work with determination for peace and harmony in the world.

“With these wishes, his holiness invokes upon all the victims, their families and the beloved Spanish people his apostolic blessing.”

At least 14 are dead and 100 injured in the Barcelona attacks that occurred at around 5 p.m. local time Thursday.  A second attack took place in Cambrils, south of Barcelona, at around midnight.  Six were reported injured, one of whom later died.  According to local reports, an explosion at a house in Alcanar, south of Cambrils, on the night of the 16th, may be linked to the attacks.

Vatican Press Office Director, Greg Burke, said August 17, 2017 that: “The Holy Father has been deeply concerned about what is happening in Barcelona. The Pope prays for the victims of this attack and wishes to express his closeness to the whole Spanish people, Particularly to the wounded and the families of the victims.”