Virgo Potens: 8 Quotes by Roman Pontiffs on the Rosary
by Apr 24, 2012on
Listers, the following list catalogues a sampling of papal statements about the importance of the Rosary. SPL was started in October – the Month of the Holy Rosary – and will continue to post lists honoring Our Lady and the Rosary.
“It has always been the habit of Catholic in danger and in troublous times to fly for refuge to Mary, and to seek for peace in Her maternal goodness; showing that the Catholic Church has always, and with justice, put all her hope and trust in the Mother of God. And truly the Immaculate Virgin, chosen to be the Mother of God and thereby associated with Him in the work of man’s salvation, has a favour and power with Her Son greater than any human or angelic creature has ever obtained, or ever can gain…”~Pope Leo XIII
The Blessed Virgin Mary is the: Mother of God; a Perpetual Virgin,; Immaculate in all Her ways; Queen of Heaven and Earth; Mother of the true Church; the Mediatrix of all grace; and Co-Redemptrix. The Litany of Loreto gives us several titles of the Blessed Mother that better describe Her role in our salvation. One that has shown favor with both Saints and Supreme Pontiffs is that of “Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary.” From this simple title stems various others such as: Virgin Most Powerful, Help of Christians, August Queen, Refuge of Sinners, Seat of Wisdom, and Cause of our joy.
Pope Leo XIII has written several Apostolic Letters on the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, one that comes highly recommended is “Supremi Apostolatus Officio.”
“This devotion, so great and so confident, to the august Queen of Heaven, has never forth with such brilliancy as when the militant Church of Go has seemed to be endangered by the violence of heresy spread abroad, or by an intolerable moral corruption, or by the attacks of powerful enemies. Ancient and modern history and the more sacred annals of the Church bears witness to public and private supplications addressed to the Mother of God, to help She has granted in return, and to the peace and tranquillity which She has obtained from God.”~Pope Leo XIII
6 Quotes: Pope Leo’s Predecessors on the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Urban IV: testified that “every day the Rosary obtained fresh boon for Christianity.”
- Sixtus IV: declared that this method of prayer “redounded the honour of God and the Blessed Virgin, and was well suited to obviate impending dangers.”
- Leo X: that “it was instituted to oppose pernicious heresiarchs and heresies.”
- Julius II: call it: “the glory of the Church.”
- St. Pius V: that “with the spread of this devotion the meditations of the faithful have begun to be more inflamed, their prayers more fervent, and they have suddenly become different men; the darkness of heresy has been dissipated, and the light of the Catholic faith has been broken forth again.”
- Gregory XIII: in his turn pronounced that “the Rosary has been instituted by St. Dominic to appease the anger of God and to implore the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary.”
Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary, pray for us who have recourse to thee.